If you love going to gyro places and ordering the chicken over rice, then this recipe is for you! It is healthier than the restaurant bought version, I substituted brown rice and was in control of all of the ingredients. The tzatziki sauce is what makes this recipe sing and it’ll change your bowl of chicken with rice to the scrumptious chicken over rice that you can buy at Gyro restaurants. I love how versatile this recipe is! You can eat this on a salad or substitute the chicken for any other protein! I like to pair mines with a Greek salad. I also love to drizzle some Sriracha and BBQ sauce on top, but if you want to keep this on the healthier side, opt out of the BBQ sauce.
-2 lbs of Chicken (thigh or breasts)
-1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
-1 tsp of salt
-1 tsp of black pepper
-1 tsp of red chilli powder
-1 tsp minced garlic
-2 tsp of lemon juice
-1 tsp of white vinegar (any type will do)
-2 tsp of olive oil
-1 tsp of dried oregano
-1 cup of brown rice
-2 cups of Greek yogurt
-1 cucumber: grated and strained
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp black pepper
-2 tsp of lemon juice
-1 tsp of minced garlic
- Prep your chicken: cut it into small bite size pieces. This will ensure that your chicken will be more flavorful.
- Marinate your chicken over night or at least for 2 hours with the following ingredients: Greek yogurt, minced garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and oregano.
- While chicken is marinating, prepare tzatziki sauce. Grate a cucumber and place the grated cucumber in a towel paper and squeeze. You’ll want to squeeze out most of the water. Combine all of the sauce ingredients and refrigerate.
- In a rice cooker, add your brown rice, 2 cups of water, and 1 tsp of salt.
- On a non stick pan, on medium high heat, cook your chicken in batches. You can dump in the sauce marinade and let the sauce cook away with the chicken. The chicken will take about 8 to 10 minutes to cook.
- Once your chicken is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes. Once it has cooled down, slice that baby up.
- In a big bowl, place rice, chicken and tziki sauce. Feel free to drizzle Siracha and BBQ sauce all over your bowl of deliciousness.
- Optional: Pair it week some greek salad! Cube 1 cucumber, 2 tomatoes, 1/2 a red onion and cilantro. Add in 2 tsp of lemon juice, 2 tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of black pepper. Mix all of these ingredients together and add some to your bowl!