If you only eat Zabiha (halaal) then you may not have tried what the rest of America raves about: Ribs. Most places that serve halaal food do not have it on their menu, so if you want to try it then you’ll just have to make it yourself! My recipe is inspired by my beautiful Aida Babhi’s finger licking BBQ Baked Ribs. I’m warning you though, once you make this recipe, it’ll definitely become a permanent dish in your monthly repertoire.
Don’t worry, they’re actually really easy and hands off to make. I like to marinate my ribs overnight for maximum flavor but that is totally optional, you could just marinate it an hour before cooking. I like to make these on a Saturday afternoon when I’m doing all my cleaning. By the time I complete my random at home tasks, dinner is already made!
-4 pounds of beef ribs
-1 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce
-1 tsp of salt
-1 tsp of black pepper
-1 tsp of minced garlic
-1 tsp of red chili pepper
-1 tsp of white vinegar/ lemon juice
-1 tsp of onion powder
-1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
-2 Serrano/Jalapeno Peppers
- Prepare your ribs: Peel off the thick, white membrane that covers the underside (bony) side of the ribs.
- Then add the following to your ribs: vinegar, salt, pepper, minced garlic, thinly chopped Serrano/ Jalapeno Peppers, onion powder, and chili powder. Marinate for at least 1 hour ( overnight preferred).
- After marinating your ribs, preheat your oven to 300 ° F .
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place ribs on top. Make sure to add all of the juices that are in the marinade. Cover the ribs with another sheet of foil.
- Place the ribs into a preheated oven and leave them there for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, take a peek and poke at your ribs; they should be falling off of the bone. If not, then cover and place in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Once your ribs are fully cooked (fall off the bone) brush on your favorite BBQ Sauce on one side of the ribs and place them in your oven, uncovered. Turn on the broiler on low and leave them there for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take out your ribs and turn them over and brush the other side with the rest of the BBQ Sauce. Turn the broiler on high and leave them in there for 5 minutes.
- After those 5 minutes, take your ribs out of the oven and let them cool slightly before enjoying!